These are my comic portrait by Laoduo (HAN Ying) in February 2011 and bronze relief by Anjianda (JIA Fang) in February 2014:http://www.flickr.com/photos/guben/sets/72157640422711605/
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
We like to share with you the recent news regarding ECIL 2014:
Website for ECIL 2014 is ready ( http://www.ecil2014.org ). Second Call for Papers will be released soon. This year our keynote speakers are Dr. Michael Eisenberg and Dr. David Bawden. Please note that abstract submission deadline is March 16. Proceedings Book will be again published by Springer under its CCIS series. We look forward to receiving your contributions and we will appreciate very much if you share this information with your colleagues whom might be interested.
If you like to access ECIL 2013 papers:
ECIL 2013 Proceedings Book has been published http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-03919-0
ECIL 2013 presentations (ppt files) are now available on the conference website http://ecil2013.ilconf.org/program/ Just click on the links in the program.
ECIL 2013 Book of Abstracts which includes abstracts of all contributions is available on conference website http://ecil2013.ilconf.org/ Please click on the book cover on the right hand side.
Hope to meet you all at ECIL 2014 in Dubrovnik, Croatia on 20-23 October. Warm regards,
Tuesday, January 7, 2014
Saturday, December 28, 2013
Chinese translation of UNIMARC Manual: Authorities Format (3rd edition) was just published by the National Library of China Publishing House in December 2013.
The Chinese translation was done by the CNMARC Authorities Format National Standard Working Group. The corresponding national standard based on the UNIMARC format is expected to be completed in the next year.
Please see the following detailed bibliographic information:
Friday, December 20, 2013
One of my colleagues made a photo album in video format, which includes several hundreds of photos of the Foreign Acquisitions & Cataloging Department, National Library of China, during my term of office 2011-2013.
Most of the photos were taken by me.
Please visit the following site for the video:
Wednesday, November 27, 2013
After more than one year's effort of a team of 15 experts, the translation of RDA (Resource Description & Access) from English into Chinese was completed this month. We hope the Chinese edition could be published before the Spring Festival (Chinese Lunar New Year).
Thursday, October 24, 2013
2013 Annual Conference of the Library Society of China
Session of the Resource Development and Sharing Committee
International Forum "Development of Publications and Challenges to Libraries"
Host: Resource Development and Sharing Committee, Library Society of China
Co-Host: Foreign Acquisitions & Cataloging Department, National Library of China
Date: November 7, 2013, 2:30pm-5:00pm
Venue: Shanghai World Expo Exhibition & Convention Center, Meeting Room 4
- Forms of publications in the future and the trends of international publishing industry
- Roles of future publications in academic exchanges
- Impacts of digital publishing on library resources development
- Digital publishing and the transitions of libraries
- Future development of library resources
- The win-win cooperation of publishers and libraries in the new information environments
- Nancy Roberts (Cambridge University Press): "Form of Publications in the Future and the Trend of Development in International Publishing"
- XIAO Ximing (Wuhan University): "Digital Reading and the Development of LibraryResources"
- Carol Bacchus (John Wiley & Sons, Inc.): "Digital Books and Challenges of Library"
- YU Haixian (East China Normal University Library): "How Should We Buy Books Today? Library Collection Development from in the Eyes of a Manager"
- Jan Willem Wijnen (Elsevier B.V.): "Article of the Future: Overview of Recent Innovations and the Road Ahead"
- ZHANG Yong (Hunan Library): "Public Library Collection Development in the All-Media Environment"
Moderator: GU Ben (National Library of China)
Each guest speaker will make a 20-minute presentation (including Q&A), and then there will be a 30-minute discussion. English-Chinese/Chinese-English Simultaneous Interpretation and bilingual presentation will be provided.
About Guest Speakers and the Moderator:
- Nancy Roberts, Ph.D. in Literature, Global Production & Operations Director, Academic Publishing, Cambridge University Press, extremely experienced publishing professional with deep industry knowledge in a range of sectors including children's, reference and trade.
- XIAO Ximing, Professor of the School of Information Management, Wuhan University, Vice-Chair of the Academic Research Committee of the Library Society of China (LSC), Chair of the Resource Development and Sharing Committee of LSC, Governing Board Member of the Hubei Provincial Society of Library Science.
- Carol Bacchus, Ph.D. in Human Genetics, VP & Director, Life Sciences, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., with experiences in several publishing companies as medical editor, editorial director and publishing director. Since late 2010, she spends most of her time in China to further develop editorial services for Chinese authors and editors.
- YU Haixian, Executive Vice-Director of the East China Normal University Library, Member of the Academic Library and Information Work Steering Committee of the Ministry of Education, Member of the Resource Development and Sharing Committee of LSC, Governing Board Member of the Shanghai Society for Library Science, Vice-Chair of the Shanghai Academic Library and Information Work Steering Committee.
- Jan Willem Wijnen, Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Publishing Executive in Physics, Elsevier B.V., with experiences as publishing editor, business developer, publishing consultant, project manager and senior publisher for several publishing companies. In his current position he manages a portfolio of 15 journals in physics and is involved in setting up new innovative academic publications.
- ZHANG Yong, Director of the Hunan Library, Chair of the Hunan Society for Library Science, Chair of Local Documents Committee of LSC, Editor-in-Chief of Library (Journal).
- GU Ben, Director of the Foreign Acquisitions & Cataloging Department of the National Library of China, Vice-Chair of the Resource Development and Sharing Committee of LSC, Editorial Committee Member of IFLA Journal.